You don’t have to head to New Orleans to celebrate Mardi Gras. Gather your family and friends and create your own celebration by making fabulous masks. This project has everything that people love: magic markers, coloring, glitter glue and bling. Plus, it’s low-cost, low-mess and guaranteed fun for all ages. Slice up a tasty, colorful King Cake and see who finds the surprise to become king or queen for the day. Let your creativity roll!
All supplies can be purchased at Michael’s stores.
One package of Creatology paper masks. We like these because they’re sturdy and come in fun shapes. I love butterflies and jesters for Mardi Gras.
1. Color the masks with in Mardi Gras colors green, purple and gold. Create a pattern of color bands or a unique design using the three colors. Let younger children just color as they wish. (Coloring is so much fun and the metallic markers have wonderful texture)
2. Add sequins and gems around the eyes with glitter glue. (Note that using glue snd sequins can be challenging for little fingers, but younger children will love coloring with the metallic markers. Once mask is colored they can apply gemstones using glue dots.
3. Outline the edges with green and purple glitter glue.
4. Add feathers to top left and right tips. Secure them to the mask with Glue Dots, placing feathers in the back of mask.
5. Add gemstones to the mask using Glue Dots.
6. Once mask is dray (2 hours), place a Glue Dot on a craft stick and secure to back of mask.
As always, we invite you to share photos with us.
Enjoy your celebration!
Maura O’Shea, Owner. Founder, The Art Truck, firstname.lastname@example.org
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. We invite you to attend one of The Art Truck’s Valentine’s Day workshops or host a party with us. Meantime, here are two DIY activities guaranteed to add creativity and fun to your celebrations at home, school or even at the office – without breaking the bank.
Just add bubbles!
Are you looking forward to toasting your sweetie with bubbles on Valentine’s Day? Add extra romance by painting your own pair of champagne flutes covered with hearts, kisses and love notes. Or make them to give as gifts to a special someone. This project is inexpensive, easy and takes about an hour. It’s a great way to enjoy some creative, quiet time and is also fun with a group.
Champagne flutes come in many sizes and shapes. Dollar Tree stores carry several nice flutes. Best part? They are only $1 each. We like them because they are sturdy and easier to handle while painting. Ikea also offers reasonably priced higher quality flutes that we like, but they are much more fragile. Or consider repurposing glasses you already have on hand for a truly unique artwork.
The palette is key to your success. A simple three-color Valentine’s palette of hot pink, red and gold will make shopping a breeze and ensure that your glasses are Valentine hot. We recommend using Decoart paint pens to simplify the whole project. Why bother with paints and brushes? These pens work great freehand or to fill in self-adhesive stencils from Plaid or Martha Stewart (our favorites). Find all supplies at Michaels stores. For permanent designs follow curing instructions. Not in love with your flutes? Put them in the dishwasher and wash your art away.
Photo Booths are Sweet
Guaranteed fun. This instant party is a cinch. Visit a local Party City or Dollar Tree for a fantastic assortment of wearable, posable Valentine’s Day props. We love hot pink and bright red boas, heart shaped or over-sized red glasses, glittery head-bobbles, and lips on sticks. Add self-adhesive red moustaches for endless smiles and giggles. Smile for the camera and instantly share your photos with family and friends.