You don’t have to head to New Orleans to celebrate Mardi Gras. Gather your family and friends and create your own celebration by making fabulous masks. This project has everything that people love: magic markers, coloring, glitter glue and bling. Plus, it’s low-cost, low-mess and guaranteed fun for all ages. Slice up a tasty, colorful King Cake and see who finds the surprise to become king or queen for the day. Let your creativity roll!
All supplies can be purchased at Michael’s stores.
- One package of Creatology paper masks. We like these because they’re sturdy and come in fun shapes. I love butterflies and jesters for Mardi Gras.
- One package of Crayola Metallic Markers
- One small container of green, purple or gold sequins.
- A selection of gemstones in green, purple and gold.
- Green and purple glitter glue.
- One roll of Glue Dots.
- Small bag of green or purple feathers.
- One package of colored craft sticks.
1. Color the masks with in Mardi Gras colors green, purple and gold. Create a pattern of color bands or a unique design using the three colors. Let younger children just color as they wish. (Coloring is so much fun and the metallic markers have wonderful texture)
2. Add sequins and gems around the eyes with glitter glue. (Note that using glue snd sequins can be challenging for little fingers, but younger children will love coloring with the metallic markers. Once mask is colored they can apply gemstones using glue dots.
3. Outline the edges with green and purple glitter glue.
4. Add feathers to top left and right tips. Secure them to the mask with Glue Dots, placing feathers in the back of mask.
5. Add gemstones to the mask using Glue Dots.
6. Once mask is dray (2 hours), place a Glue Dot on a craft stick and secure to back of mask.
As always, we invite you to share photos with us.
Enjoy your celebration!
Maura O’Shea, Owner. Founder, The Art Truck, email@example.com